Monday, February 19, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness Quilt

I am a quilter and belong to several Yahoo groups of quilters plus my friend, Judy, who I am walking for, is an avid quilter. I got the idea to ask for quilt blocks from around the world and assemble a "Cancer Awareness Quilt" then raffle it to raise money for my walk. I am getting squares from all over and my friend, Judy, is going to help me assemble it over Spring Break. She will be between chemo and radiation so it will be a perfect time for her as well and she really wants to be part of the process. My hope is that it will be sort of like the Aids quilt - I have asked everyone to put their name and where they are from on the blocks. The theme is PINK and the blocks will be in memory of someone, in honor of someone, or for inspiration and courage. I can't wait to start working on the actual quilt! I will also have my team sell raffle tickets and they will count their proceeds toward their goals. We are thinking about holding the quilt until after the walk and having it signed at the camp in Atlanta before we send it to the winner. It should be an incredible quilt when it is finished.

No comments: