Monday, February 5, 2007

Garage Sale Fundraising

This is one of my favorite ideas, as it can be quite easy, definitely can raise a good amount of money in one shot, and is a chance to get your supporters involved in a different way. We continually ask people for money to support our cause or event, how about asking for their extra stuff instead?

Most people I know have some stuff lying around their home that they could easily get rid of, but not enough stuff to do their own garage sale. By pooling all of that stuff together, with whatever you had already, you can have a great big offering! Some people may surprise you, and use it as a great excuse to purge their household, as I did, two years ago, when a former teammate was doing one of these sales to jumpstart her fundraising for the year. Ask people to donate whatever they no longer want, and if you can, offer to pick it up as well to save them that hassle too, and then advertise everywhere that the proceeds are going to your cause.

A way to get even more funds at the garage sale - set up a great change/donation bucket or jar at the main table where you are collecting the money, decorated with messages or pictures relating to your cause, as many people will drop in their change or make extra donations. You might as well have donation forms (for larger donations) plus sign-up forms, if you're raising money for an event where others could join in as well. You never know who will be stopping at that garage sale, especially as you've advertised it as for that cause!

Give it a shot, and let me know how it goes. And, if you've had successful ones in the past, please feel free to add comments here of what things worked best for you and what didn't! We're doing another one of these for ourselves this Spring - I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers,
Bethel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I walked in 2005 and 2006. I did garage sales for both. 2005 I raised about $300. 2006 I raised $576. I advertised in the paper that this was for Breast Cancer and the people that came to 2006 sale actually had come the year before (gotta love repeat customers). I had lots of people tell me to "keep the change". I had one woman buy $26 worth of stuff and write me a check for $75. I always have a jar for donations which is often popular for the kids. Parents will give them change or a few dollars and let them drop it in (so make it kid accessible). I also use a line that will often net you more for your stuff. When someone tries to negotiate me down on price, I will say "Can you afford that extra dollar to support breast cancer?" Very few will deny me my original price!!! I'm already accumulating my stuff for this year. As I get it, I price it and box it for storage until sale time.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.