Sunday, February 4, 2007

Getting this started!

I've been thinking about starting something like this for a while now... I thought it would be a great way to share fundraising ideas amongst folks who do events and raise money for causes that matter to them, as my family does, and so many other awesome folks we know.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Bethel Nathan (maiden name is Weiss, under which I did my first five 3 Day Walk events). My family and I get involved with the 3 Day Walk for breast cancer in 2003, and haven't stopped since... Let's see - in 2003, my Mom and I walked it here in San Diego. In 2004, I walked it here in San Diego again, crewed the Walk in Arizona, and recruited my brother to Crew his first Walk here in San Diego, at Pit Stop 1. In 2005, Mom and I walked it here again in San Diego, my husband, Jason (who was my boyfriend then), and brother both crewed here in San Diego, and my husband and I both traveled to Seattle to crew that Walk earlier in the season. Then in 2006, Mom, Jason, my brother's wife, Kristen, and I all walked here in San Diego, and my brother crewed Pit Stop 1 again. In all, my family has raised over $69,000 in the 4 years for the Breast Cancer 3 Day. And, Mom, Jason and I are all set to walk again in 2007, with Craig crewing Pit 1 one more time.

Many of us participate in other great events for worthy causes here in San Diego throughout the year - such as walks for MS, Autism, Alzheimers, March of Dimes, and shorter Breast Cancer walks. For those we don't fundraise, but we're happy to support these worthy causes.

I've been lucky to have some amazing supporters and donors over the years, and have also gotten creative about fundraising, partially because I also see it as awareness building for a great cause as well. I also have met some really creative fundraisers through the 3 Day crowd. And, since I've personally raised about $51,200 for the 3 Day over these four years, I'm often asked for advice by new walkers.

So, that got me thinking - why not create a blog where people can post and share good fundraising ideas??? It certainly doesn't have to be just for the 3 Day or breast cancer, although that's where most of my experience is, because most of the ideas will be relevant to raising money and awareness for all causes.

Want to join in on this with me? Together we can make even more of an impact on the causes that matter to each of us!

Cheers,
Bethel
bethel@initialimpression.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, hope it works out for you. I thought I'd be the first to share a fundraising idea. I knew the local indoor skateboard park had run fundraisers in the past so I approached them about doing one. They normally charge $24 for an all-day pass. For a fundraiser, they charge $20 for that same all-day pass and give $10 to the charity. In addition, I collected raffle items from local skate shops. The park gave one free raffle ticket with each $20 pass sold. I then sold additional raffle tickets. This fundraiser netted me $840 in admissions from the park and an additional $246 in raffle ticket sales. And this was on a brilliantly sunny day in May. This year I plan to do the fundraiser in March and hope for a cold, wet, miserable day outside to draw them in! So approach different sports-type venues and ask if they would consider picking a day and donating a per ticket amount to your fund. Skate park, miniature golf, golf driving range are all possibilities. Good luck on your fundraising!